Our Pictures

Monday, April 7, 2008

Maddie + Dead Bird = Bad News

Let me start off by saying Maddie is a lover of all animals. She shows no prejudice. She did not get that from her mother. Whether they are big or small, hairy or bald, alive or DEAD!!! Maddie doesn't care. So, we're loading up the car to go to the gym this morning when I catch Maddie in our front yard holding this little guy. At the time he was still kicking a little and I almost vomited in my mouth. I told her to put him down and go wash her hands immediately. Well, the entire trip to the gym she's begging me to hold the bird again and to put it in a cage in her room. She didn't even care that it was dead. I was hoping when we got home the bird would be gone. No such luck. Maddie ran into the house to get a wipie and begged me to hold it. So, I picked it up for her and let her hold it for a few minutes before we threw it in the dumpster. I told her he went to heaven. Surprisingly enough she was o.k. with it. Yes, that's some kind of fluid coming from his mouth. GROSS!!
She was so proud.
Of course Bryce had to take a quick peek.

10 comments:

Stuart Family said...

So So Sad. Was that the birds from the nest? You should've just let her keep it for a few days. I really think she needs some kind of animal. Poor girl and poor bird. :(

Queen Creek Chaffee's said...

I think you should have let her put it in the cage n her room. Arnt kids just so cute in thier inocense. Next time dont mention vomiting in your mouth because then i almost vomit in my mouth! Your kids look so great!

Koi said...

Ya know what, when I was 4 my neighbor bought me a little pink chick for Easter and I loved it to death....literally. It died and I carried it around with me until it started to stink and my parents made bury it. So no harm in letting her hold it for a while.

p.s. Nice tattoo Bryce!

Becky said...

This makes me laugh! You are such a good mom..I don't know if I would have been able to pick it up!

Lorena said...

So very yucky...

I did that once, brought home a dead pigeon in a plastic bag. I think my mom fainted.

The Carpenter Family said...

yuck!! Well I was just like her when I was a kid so I have no room to talk. Thanks for the carpet cleaning refferal...great price and good job!

Hallie said...

I love stories like this because I can totally relate! I'm not really an animal or critter lover AT ALL and Brig is constantly bringing some bug, rodent or animal home to keep in a cage in his room. The other day he wanted me to tape his crawdad's pincher back on because it was broken and I was seriously about to do the whole vomit in my mouth thing just looking at it! It really is cute that they are so into animals like they are though! You are such a good sport to hold it for her and let her bring it in the house!

Unknown said...

wow, thats disgusting! At least the little bird was taken care of during his last moments! :) Im surprised she didnt name him!

Traci said...

What a sweet little girl. Your lucky it was dead or you may have found it in her room a couple weeks later somewhere.

Kristine said...

I can understand the "throwing up in the mouth a little" cuase I totally just did. Ewwww but kudos on being an understanding Mom. You're definately more compassionate thatn I am.